Nut Allergy Friendly Snacks
Nut allergy is one of the most common food allergies in children and adults. Tree nuts can cause a severe, potentially fatal, allergic reaction. An allergy to tree nuts tends to be lifelong; recent studies have shown that approximately 9 percent of children with a tree nut allergy eventually outgrow their allergy.
Even though nuts are nature’s way of showing us that good things come in small packages and are packed with heart-healthy fats, protein, vitamins, and minerals, there are other healthy ready-to-go snacks for those with a nut allergy.
Try these snacks instead:
- Edamame: Eating this protein-packed pick-me-up out of the shell will help make the snack last longer.
- Roasted Chickpeas: Low-fat, high-fiber treats are affordable and easy to make at home and can satisfy your cravings for something spicy or salty.
- Sliced tomatoes with goat cheese: This savory dish will make your taste buds happy.
- Banana: Naturally prepackaged goodness you can take anywhere, with the added benefit of cramp-preventing potassium.
- Apple: The soluble fiber found in apples binds with fats in the intestine, which translates into lower cholesterol levels and a healthier you.
- Popcorn with no butter: Go ahead and nibble away without guilt!
- String cheese: Any food you can play with is a great distraction; plus, the protein battles mid-afternoon hunger pangs.
- Baby carrots: The crunchy texture keeps choppers busy.
- Turkey Jerky: When you must have meat, chew on this low-cal, low-fat power snack.
- Cantaloupe: Like most fruit, melon contains a lot of water. So you get a lot of food-and beta-carotene-for not a lot of calories.