Berry Basil Frappe, a frappe is defined as two things, the first being a fruit puree poured over shaved ice and the second being a coffee version poured over shaved ice.
Since I am not a huge coffee drinker, I chose the antioxidant delicious berry version with berries, basil, and orange
YES! This is the very first #SOBikini RECIPE WEDNESDAY!!! I’m super excited because this is the perfect end-of-Summer drink and works when subbed for Fall and Holiday ingredients. Just substitute your favorite ingredients and follow the recipe below.
I must admit, the basil orange idea was not, in fact, my idea. The Basil Orange Frappe must, without exception, be attributed to my chef friend Alan Greeley of the Golden Truffle restaurant in Orange County. When I recently judged a chef challenge at the OC Fair, the Basil Orange Frappe was one of Chef’s presented dishes of which I instantly fell in love. I loved it so much I decided to create a home-chef worth version that is also SOBikini friendly and delicious – well, that’s understood.
I decided this was a recipe that everyone could enjoy when presented in a perhaps somewhat simpler form. Hence, I present the Berry Basil Frappe.
Sodium: 2.7mg In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Berry Basil Frappe
Berry Basil Frappe a frappe is defined as two things, actually.The first being a fruit puree poured over shaved ice. The second being a coffee version poured over shaved ice. Since I am not a huge coffee drinker, I chose the antioxidant delicious berry version with berries, basil, and orange.
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 ounce fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 ounce fresh sqeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup fresh blackberries
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- shaved or crushed ice
- Muddle orange zest, basil, and orange juice in a cocktail shaker or with mortar and pestal.
- In a blender or food processor, puree berries until smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve to remove seeds.
- In a blender or food processor, blend together basil mixture, lime juice, lemon juice, all of the berry mixture, and honey.
- If needed, add an additional one ounce each of orange and lime juice for desired thickness.
- Stir or shake to combine.
- Pour over shaved ice and enjoy!
- Garnish with lemon or lime wedge or just enjoy time with family and friends.