National Melba Toast Day was recently and Breakfast Egg Bruschetta, thinly sliced toast that is used as a base for all kinds of delicious toppings like cheese, pate, or to dip in soups.
In honor of National Melba Toast Day, I recently explained the origin of Melba Toast on my Talk Radio show, The Bikini Lifestyles Show on Talk Radio 790 KABC. Catch the free podcast here: LIVE from Fig and Olive Newport Beach While Melba Toast can be used in similar ways to crostini, I chose crostini for this recipe due to the slightly extra thickness of the bread.
This wonderful breakfast recipe brings a slightly different twist to bruschetta which is typically tomatoes, basil and olive oil. Here, crostini are spread with basil pesto. Then, scrambled eggs, tomato and feta cheese are a few of the delicious ingredients that finish this simple and flavorful dish that brings a refreshing twist to both breakfast and bruschetta.
This recipe is featured in one of my latest books, The Clean Separation, with Australian dietitian, Kara Landau.
Serving size: 274grams (4 pieces)
Saturated fat: 8.1g
Sodium: 676.8mg In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Breakfast Egg Bruschetta
National Melba Toast Day was recently and Melba Toast is similar to crostini in that it is crisp, thinly sliced toast that is used as a base for all kinds of delicious toppings like cheese, pate, or to dip in soups.
- 12-inch long high fiber whole grain baguette
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon safflower oil
- 2 medium hot house tomatoes
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Slice the bread into 16 1/2-inch thick slices.
- Brush one side of each slice with approximately 1 teaspoon of olive oil.
- Toast the bread in a toaster oven or place on a baking sheet and toast in a 275* oven for about 20 minutes.
- Make the pesto by pureeing remaining olive oil with basil, pine nuts, salt, and pepper in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, use a fork or wire whisk to beat the eggs.
- Whisk in the garlic and red bell pepper.
- Heat the safflower oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the egg mixture.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, with a heat proof spatula until eggs are cooked and scrambled, about 2 minutes.
- To serve, spread each slice with 1/2 tablespoon pesto.
- Top with egg mixture, 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of diced tomato and 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of feta cheese.