Campfire Chicken : Camping dinners are not limited to hot dogs and reheated frozen taquitos in the microwave in the RV. Enjoy healthy #SOBikini simple dinners made right on hot campfire coals.
Bring fresh ingredients with you or stop at a local farmer’s market for fresh vegetables like yellow summer squash, zucchini, and red onion. This recipe is made with chicken, but you could use shrimp, halibut, beef, or pork. Anti-inflammatory spice Turmeric is added for both flavor and to ease sore muscles from a long day hike and energizing, protein-rich healthy carbs are provided by using cooked quinoa. Bring quinoa on your camping trip pre-made for simplicity as its best. Surely a campfire recipe everyone will enjoy, especially mom because this dish is easy on cleanup!
Serving size: 1 packet
Saturated fat: 8.1g
Sodium: 1,018mg In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Campfire Chicken Camping dinners are not limited to hot dogs and reheated frozen taquitos in the microwave in the RV. Enjoy healthy simple dinners made right on hot campfire coals.
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
- 2 medium hot house or similar tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into ½-inch thick strips
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash or pattypan squash, sliced
- 6 garlic cloves, halved
- ½ pound pancetta, roughly chopped
- ½ pound summer sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano or thyme leaves
- 1 ear fresh yellow or white corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 double-folded aluminum foil squares, about 12-inches x 12-inches
- In a small mixing bowl, toss together chicken and turmeric.
- Set aside.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, toss together quinoa and cayenne pepper and set aside.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat or prepare outdoor campfire.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine onion, tomatoes, bell pepper, zucchini, yellow squash, garlic, pancetta, summer sausage, oregano or thyme, and corn and toss together.
- Drizzle olive oil over all and add sea salt and black pepper and toss well to combine.
- Add chicken mixture and quinoa and toss well to combine.
- Divide each mixture equally amongst 6 aluminum foil patches.
- Form foil into a pocket-style design and fold edges of foil to close securely.
- Place foil packet directly on heated grill over medium-high heat or directly onto coals or rack over open campfire.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve as is or with a sauce on the side such as roasted red bell pepper remoulade or basil pesto.