Holiday desserts can get a nutrition boost! Here Candy Cane Pistachio Quinoa Crackle with healthy pistachios and crunchy super-food quinoa top this Holiday favorite.
In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Candy Cane Pistachio Quinoa Crackle
Holiday dessert Candy Cane Pistachio Quinoa Crackle with healthy pistachios and crunchy super-food quinoa top this Holiday favorite.
- Crushed candy canes, to yield 1 cup (about 8 medium candy canes)
- 2 pounds white chocolate
- 1 teaspoon peppermint flavorings, optional
- ½ cup roughly chopped pistachios
- ¼ cup popped quinoa
- Place candy canes in a plastic bag and hammer into 1/4-inch chunks or smaller. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Combine ¾ candy cane chunks with chocolate (add peppermint flavoring at this point if desired.)
- Pour mixture onto a baking sheet layered with parchment or waxed paper.
- Sprinkle remaining candy canes, pistachios, and quinoa on top.
- Place in the refrigerator for 45 minutes or until firm. Remove from baking sheet and break into pieces (like peanut brittle.)
- To pop quinoa: Heat a dry stockpot over medium high heat until pan is hot. (Test by sprinkling with a tiny bit of water. If water beads across the bottom, pan is hot enough.)
- Place in rinsed quinoa seeds and stir quickly using a wooden spoon.
- Seeds will begin to pop, keep stirring until seeds have popped, are lightly golden with a nutty aroma.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow to cool 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 piece out of 58 pieces, about 38g
- Calories: 102
- Fat: 6.5g
- Carbohydrates: 12.1g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Fiber: >1g
- Sodium: 17mg