A protein and nutrient-rich dish
the whole family will love. Chicken is lightly pounded and seasoned then wrapped around asparagus and turnips or parsnips and served with an easy, homemade Kale Pesto. This dish gets its flavor from Italian-style seasoning, fresh oregano and thyme.
Prep the bundles the day before
and bake just before serving. Serve bundles as a whole or slice into medallions. Reduce fat in the recipe by topping with a homemade tomato sauce instead of the Kale Pesto.
Serving size: 1 cooked chicken breast with 2 tablespoons pesto
Saturated fat: 5.7g
Sodium: 304mg In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Chicken Asparagus Bundles with Kale Pesto
A protein and nutrientrich dish the whole family will love. Chicken is lightly pounded and seasoned then wrapped around asparagus and turnips or parsnips and served with an easy, homemade Kale Pesto.
- 2 cups fresh kale leaves
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Black pepper and salt to taste
- 4 4-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoning
- ½ tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 12 medium asparagus, root end trimmed
- 1 large turnip (or parsnip), julienned
- Make pesto: blend kale, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, parmesan cheese, cayenne, cumin, and lemon juice in a food processor or blender.
- Season with pepper and salt, as desired.
- Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- Place chicken breasts between 2 pieces of parchment or wax paper.
- Use the flat side of a meat pounder to pound out chicken to about ¼ to ½ inch thick.
- Using a pastry brush, brush one side of chicken breast with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Season each equally with Italian-style seasoning, red pepper flakes, oregano and thyme leaves.
- Place 3 asparagus and 3 to 4 turnip strips toward one side of chicken.
- Fold edge of chicken over turnip and asparagus and roll into a bundle.
- Secure with a toothpick.
- Place chicken bundles on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for 30 -35 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve with 2 tablespoons Kale Pesto.
- Store any leftover pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Use on other chicken dishes, fish, pasta, or as a vegetable dip.
- **For a lower fat version, serve chicken with homemade tomato sauce instead of Kale Pesto.