Kale is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. ﾠA 1 cup serving contains about 5% of the RDA for fiber, 2 grams of protein, and it is naturally low in calories and fat free.
In this recipe, anti-oxidant friendly kale is finely chopped and tossed with finely chopped broccoli florets and red bell pepper and is then tossed with a simple lemon balsamic vinaigrette. Here, the Chopped Kale Salad is served with Pan-Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken. Other delicious lean protein options include Grilled Turkey Medallions, Broiled or Grilled Salmon, Halibut, or add a few almonds for added protein, healthy fats for a vegetarian dish.
Serving size: 1 “heaping” cup kale with 5 ounces chicken
Saturated fat: 5.5g
*NOTE: Each serving contains 148% of the RDA of Vitamin A, 202% of Vitamin C, 15% of calcium, and 20% of iron. Also, the calories and fat grams will actually be less because the oil used to grill the chicken will not absorb entirely into the chicken and will be discarded. In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Chopped Kale Salad with Lemon Pepper Chicken
Kale is a good source of vitamin A, vitamin C, and calcium. A 1 cup serving contains about 5% of the RDA for fiber, 2 grams of protein, and it is naturally low in calories and fat free.
- 4 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup lemon pepper seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- pinch sea salt
- 2 pinches black pepper
- 4 "heaping" cups finely chopped kale, about 1 large bunch
- 1 cup finely chopped broccoli, about 1 1/2 cups whole florets
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- Preheat oven to 375*. Coat both sides of chicken breasts with lemon pepper seasoning.
- Heat olive oil in large heavy skillet over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add chicken breasts and sear for 3 minutes on one side.
- Turn and sear the other side for 3 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 18 minutes or until cooked through.
- While chicken is cooking, in a large mixing bowl, whisk together balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add kale, broccoli, and red bell pepper and toss until well coated.
- Serve 1 "heaping" cup of kale salad with 1 chicken breast.