One of the signature dishes of The Bikini Chef®, this Dill Citrus Salmon with Lemon is a Tuscan recipe learned in Florence, Italy. The classic recipe is a gravlax-style salmon that marinates in the refrigerator, untouched, for 3 whole days. Wild salmon, lemon, orange and fresh dill are marinated in sea salt, sugar, and white wine for a gravlax-type appetizer or which could be served as an entree. After 3 days, what results is a “cooked” salmon that is then thinly sliced and served on top of freshly sliced cucumber and goat cheese, creme fraiche, or even a flavorful mustard is a nice touch.
Can’t wait 3 days? Marinate the salmon as directed for 1 to 4 hours and then cook stovetop for a delicious entree that can be served atop of crisp Mixed Green Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette, follow this recipe and substitute balsamic vinegar for white wine vinegar, here: Mixed Green Salad with Toasted Almonds
Salmon is a trademark food of The Bikini Chef® and is a featured ingredient in The Bikini Chef® Diet plan and is widely praised in Chef Susan Irby’s upcoming book with Ward W. Bond, PhD, 7 Steps to Total Wellness, Remedies and Recipes to Reverse Disease Naturally.
The omega-3 fatty acids in salmon promote fat burn, glowing skin and hair and promote overall health including a healthy heart, cancer-fighting properties, and prevention of diabetes.
Made with another favorite The Bikini Chef® food, lemons, this dish is one to add to your regular at-home menu plans. For more on the Health Benefits of Lemon, read this article, here: Health Benefits of Lemons
Serving size: 2 ounces *NOTE: the sugars, salt and wine are discarded
Saturated fat: 2.5g
Dill Citrus Salmon
Wild salmon, lemon, orange and fresh dill are marinated in sea salt, sugar, and white wine for a gravlax-type appetizer or entree
- 2 pounds fresh salmon fillet
- 3/4 cup coarse sea salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dill, roughly chopped (stems and leaves)
- 3 medium Limoneira lemons, sliced
- 1 mediuma orange, sliced
- 1 bottle white wine such as sauvignon blanc
- Place salmon skin side down in 9×13 inch baking dish
- Coat with sea salt and sugar
- Cover with dill, squeeze lemon and orange slices over ingredients.
- Randomly place lemon and orange slices on top.
- Pour in white wine covering fish, cover dish with plastic wrap.
- Marinate for 3 full days, without disturbing.
- Thinly slice and serve as an appetizer.
- Serves 20 as an appetizer prepared by using the 3 day method which is The Bikini Chef® preferred method.
- Or, Quick Cooking Method:
- Marinate a minimum of 1 hour and up to 4 hours in the refrigerator; then, in medium saucepan with lid, add fish and enough of the liquid to cover 1/2 of the salmon.
- Add a couple of lemon and orange slices, turn heat to medium and cover.
- Poach salmon for approximately 15 minutes or until salmon is cooked opaque pink and is flaky in texture. Serves 8 as an entree.