Halloween, the season of childlike ghoulish fun. Try making this fun, healthier Halloween candy treat with your kids. Fresh banana, shredded coconut, white chocolate, a few sunflower seeds and chocolate chips and a few other simple ingredients are all you need for these tasty snack or dessert pops.
A few tips for the perfect pop:
1) Melt white chocolate in a double boiler. Add a 1/2 tablespoon shortening for a smoother chocolate that is less likely to seize up. Alternatively, melt in the microwave by heating in 15 to 20 second increments.
2) Lollipop sticks are available at most grocery stores in the baking section. When attaching the banana pieces, guide the banana onto the lollipop stick carefully or banana may split. 🙂
3) When rolling the banana in chocolate, use a spoon or other utensil to help roll the banana and keep it firmly on the lollipop stick.
Serving size: 1 ghost or monster pop
Protein: 1g In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Ghost and Monster Pops
Try making this fun, healthier Halloween candy treat with your kids. Fresh banana, shredded coconut, white chocolate, a few sunflower seeds and chocolate chips and a few other simple ingredients are all you need for these tasty snack or dessert pops.
- For Googley Frosting Eyes:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup such as Karo
- 2 teaspoons milk or almond milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package mini chocolate chips
- Make pops:
- 2 bananas
- 8 lollipop sticks
- ½ cup white chocolate, divided equally
- Few drops green food coloring
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- 2 dates, cut in half
- 8 sunflower seeds
- To Make Googley Eyes:
- Place parchment or wax paper on an upside down baking sheet.
- Whisk together sugar and cornstarch.
- Add corn syrup, milk and vanilla extract and stir to mix.
- Place in a pastry piping bag or use a Ziploc bag and snip one corner, slightly, to pipe out “frosting”.
- Pipe small rounds of frosting onto parchment paper and quickly press mini chocolate chips into frosting.
- Let set for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining frosting mixture until complete.
- Option: Add a few drops, but not too many, green or red food coloring to the frosting to create a spooky effect
- To Make Ghosts:
- Slice off end pieces of each banana and gently thread onto one each of four lollipop sticks.
- Melt ¼ cup of white chocolate in the microwave or double boiler (double boiler preferred).
- Roll banana into white chocolate and immediately roll into shredded coconut.
- Gently press 1 Googley eye onto Ghost pop.
- To Make Monsters:
- Slice center of bananas into 4 equal pieces.
- Gently thread onto one each of four lollipop sticks.
- Melt ¼ cup of white chocolate with a few drops of green food coloring.
- Roll banana pieces in chocolate.
- Top with date caps (ends). Stick 1 each sunflower seed into each side of banana.
- Place all on baking sheet or plate and freeze for 10 to 15 minutes to set.