Gruyere Apple Panini with gruyere cheese, Granny Smith apples, and carmelized onion on grilled whole grain bread. Enjoy for lunch or slice into four pieces and serve as an appetizer at cocktail parties or before dinner parties.
Carmelize onions with a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg, cardamom, and cumin. Toss apple slices with fresh lemon juice and slice gruyere or brie cheese into quarter-inch slices.
When serving this recipe
as an appetizer in quarters, divide the nutrition analysis by four (4).
This recipe was featured on
the recent The Bikini Lifestyles Talk Radio Show on 790 KABC – The Perfect Turkey with Chef Pascal Olhats. Enjoy the free podcast here >> The Perfect Turkey podcast
Serving size: 1 panini
Saturated fat: 14.0g
*Note: Nutrition analysis from CalorieCount.com recipe analyzer. This recipe is high in calcium and vitamin B6. In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Gruyere Apple Panini
Gruyere cheese, Granny Smith apples, and carmelized onion on grilled whole grain bread. Enjoy for lunch or slice into four pieces and serve as an appetizer at cocktail parties or before dinner parties.
- 1 Granny Smith apple, quartered and thinly sliced
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 yellow onion, halved and thinly sliced
- pinch sea salt
- pinch white pepper
- pinch cumin
- pinch cardamom
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch nutmeg
- 8 ounces gruyere cheese
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- Toss apple and lemon juice together in a small mixing bowl.
- In a medium non-stick skillet over medium heat, melt 1/4 tablespoon butter and add onion.
- Saute for 5 minutes, add salt and pepper, and continue to cook until onion is tender and begins to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt 1/4 tablespoon butter in same non-stick skillet over medium heat and add apples, cumin, cardamom, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Saute until just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Equally divide onion, apple and cheese on each of 4 slices of bread.
- Top with remaining bread slices to form a sandwich (panini).
- Using 1/4 tablespoon of butter for each panini, melt butter on a cast iron grill pan or panini press and grill each side of panini for about 30 seconds or until cheese is melted, see note.
- *Note: if using a cast iron grill pan, grill panini until golden brown. If cheese has not melted, finish in a pre-heated 375* oven for 5 minutes.