Nearly everyone loves guacamole.
Guacamole kinda gets a bad rap from being high in fat, but at the essence of guacamole is fresh avocado which, as is commonly known, is filled with good, healthy fats. Avocado is also rich in potassium, is a good source of fiber and vitamin C and other nutrients. It is linked to helping prevent cardiovascular disease, diabetes, among other health benefits and helps the body absorb other nutrients.
The big culprit when it comes to eating guacamole
is not in the avocado, but in the way it is commonly served with fried or baked tortilla chips and many recipes add cheese to their dish. This recipe uses red onion, fresh cilantro, metabolism boosting ingredients such as jalapeno, cayenne pepper, lemon, lime, and spices of cumin and cardamom. Serve with fresh celery stalks, jicama, or red bell pepper slices to get the true benefit of fresh ingredients without the saturated fat from tortilla chips.
Serving size: 1/4 cup
Saturated fat: 0.9g
Sodium: 119mg In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Nearly everyone loves guacamole. Guacamole kinda gets a bad rap from being high in fat, but at the essence of guacamole is fresh avocado which, as is commonly known, is filled with good, healthy fats.
- 3 medium Haas avocados, peeled, seed removed
- 1 lime, rolled and halved
- fine zest of 1/4 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- Scoop out the avocado pulp and place in a medium mixing bowl.
- Squeeze in the lime juice and toss to coat the avocado.
- Drain excess lime juice but reserve it for later.
- Add the lemon zest, cayenne peper, cumin, cardamom, sea salt, and black pepper, and mash together with the avocado.
- Fold in the cilantro, jalapeno, red onion, garlic, and tomatoes.
- Mix in 1/2 tablespoon of the remaining lime juice.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve with fresh celery, jicama, or red bell pepper strips.