Protein is essential to a healthy #SOBikini lifestyle as are the right kinds of carbs. In this recipe, lean lamb chops are paired with nutrient dense, carb friendly barley for the perfect balance of strength, endurance, and fat burn.
Barley contains beta-glucan fiber
which helps reduce cholesterol, improve the immune system, and regulate blood sugar. Barley is also known to lower blood pressure and reduce visceral fat. With barley’s slow releasing carbs, the body feels satiated for a longer period of time which will also help stave off that late night cravings.
Here, barley pilaf is enriched with fresh kale,
green onion and wild mushrooms and served with flavorful, protein and iron rich lamb chops which promote healthy kidneys and bodybuilding muscle. Phytonutrients in kale are powerful in protecting cells from cancer and preventing heart disease. As with all leafy greens, kale is packed with anti-oxidant rich vitamin A and fiber.
*Substitute turkey or chicken for lamb chops, if desired.
Nutrition for your entire meal:
Serving size: 2 lamb chops with 1 cup barley
Saturated Fat: 9.0g
*Low in sugar, high in niacin, phosphorus, selenium, B12, zinc In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Indian Spiced Lamb Chops with Barley Kale Pilaf
Protein is essential to a healthy lifestyle as are the right kinds of carbs. In this recipe, lean lamb chops are paired with nutrient dense, carb friendly barley for the perfect balance of strength, endurance, and fat burn.
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 rib lamb chops (about 2 pounds)
- ½ cup fresh wild mushrooms such as morel, cremini, and porcini
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 cup barley
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- ½ cup chopped fresh kale
- ¼ teaspoon fine lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- Whisk together garlic, cumin, cardamom, turmeric, cilantro, lime juice, orange juice, ¼ teaspoon sea salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, and 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Transfer to a large, sealable plastic bag, add lamb, seal bag, and massage until lamb is evenly coated.
- Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- Begin making the barley by heating 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms, shallots, and barley and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, and green onion.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Just before serving, stir in kale, lemon zest, remaining sea salt, remaining black pepper, and parmesan cheese.
- While barley is cooking, finish the lamb chops.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add lamb and sear for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn and sear an additional 3 to 4 minutes for medium-rare, or until desired doneness.
- Let rest for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve over barley.