Low-Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup with nonfat milk and lowfat sour cream provide the creamy texture of this delicious soup without the added saturated fat from cream.
This simple, quick soup is perfect for a mid-week meal or serve as a starter course at dinner parties. If you prefer pureed soups, working in batches, puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Serve hot for a winter warm-up or chill and serve cold in a demitasse cup for a tasty beginning to dinner parties in the summer.
Serving size: 1 cup
Saturated fat: 3.0g
Nutritional analysis done by CalorieCount.com Recipe Analyzer tool In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Low-Fat Cream of Mushroom Soup
Mushrooms have more nutrients than you think. And, they also are wonderful to cook with because they bring an earthiness to the dish yet also take on the flavors of the other ingredients surrounding them.
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms or a blend of mushrooms such as cremini, porcini, or morel
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nonfat milk
- 1/2 cup low fat sour cream
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Saute mushrooms, olive oil, garlic, and onion in a saute pan over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour.
- Add vegetable broth and bring to a boil.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the milk, sour cream and egg.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Stir into the saute pan.
- Reduce heat to simmer and simmer about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot or chill for 2 hours and serve cold.