Mixed Greens with Toasted Almonds and White Wine Vinaigrette
Recipe Type: Salad
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 mins
Total time: 17 mins
This healthy salad came together on a whim with a few new ingredients and a few leftovers! Throw this together in minutes for a healthy side dish or compliment to a lunch or dinner entree. Add some diced grilled chicken and enjoy as a delicious #SOBikini meal the whole family will enjoy!
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- fine zest of 1 lemon
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- at least 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Italian dry seasoning (see notes), about 1 1/2 teaspoons
- For salad:
- 6-8 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, diced at 1/4″ to 1/2″ slices
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup toasted whole almonds
- Fresh corn kernels cut off the cob from 2 ears of boiled corn (good leftover use)
- Make vinaigrette:
- In large mixing bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, lemon, Italian seasoning and whisk well until well combined.
- Toss in mixed greens, feta cheese, tomatoes, celery, almonds, and corn.
- Toss well to combine and enjoy!
The seasoning I used was a gift from my friend Kathleen Young of Kelley Young Wines in the Alexander Valley, CA. It is a wonderful blend of dried basil, crushed red pepper flakes and finely crumbled parmesan cheese. You can make it at home! Kathleen’s recipe is featured in the Recipe section: Mixed Garden Herbs Kathleen was recently a guest on Bikini Lifestyles on AM 790 KABC radio. You can hear her interview by clicking on Podcast and searching Kelley Young wines.
Catch The Bikini Chef on Bikini Lifestyles “Wine Dine and Workout” on AM 790 KABC radio in Los Angeles Saturday nights, 7pm PT or stream LIVE online at http://www.kabc.com Visit: http://www.bikinilifestyles.com Check your local TV listings for Bikini Lifestyles “Wine Dine and Workout” airings in your town!
Purchase books by The Bikini Chef:
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook available for pre-order on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Quinoa-Cookbook/dp/1615641939/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337916843&sr=8-1
In stores: July 3rd, 2012
Other books by The Bikini Chef:
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Follow The Bikini Chef:
Mixed Greens with Toasted Almonds