Mixed Greens with Toasted Almonds and White Wine Vinaigrette
Recipe Type: Salad
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 2 mins
Total time: 17 mins
This healthy salad came together on a whim with a few new ingredients and a few leftovers! Throw this together in minutes for a healthy side dish or compliment to a lunch or dinner entree. Add some diced grilled chicken and enjoy as a delicious #SOBikini meal the whole family will enjoy!
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- fine zest of 1 lemon
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- at least 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Italian dry seasoning (see notes), about 1 1/2 teaspoons
- For salad:
- 6-8 cups mixed greens
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup reduced fat feta cheese
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 to 3 celery stalks, diced at 1/4″ to 1/2″ slices
- 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup toasted whole almonds
- Fresh corn kernels cut off the cob from 2 ears of boiled corn (good leftover use)
- Make vinaigrette:
- In large mixing bowl, combine oil, vinegar, sea salt, black pepper, lemon, Italian seasoning and whisk well until well combined.
- Toss in mixed greens, feta cheese, tomatoes, celery, almonds, and corn.
- Toss well to combine and enjoy!
The seasoning I used was a gift from my friend Kathleen Young of Kelley Young Wines in the Alexander Valley, CA. It is a wonderful blend of dried basil, crushed red pepper flakes and finely crumbled parmesan cheese. You can make it at home! Kathleen’s recipe is featured in the Recipe section: Mixed Garden Herbs Kathleen was recently a guest on Bikini Lifestyles on AM 790 KABC radio. You can hear her interview by clicking on Podcast and searching Kelley Young wines.