It’s a little early for next week’s #SOBikini Recipe Wednesday
but what the heck, give a girl a challenge and she’ll take you right up on it. One of my England tweeps (@GoFitPortishead) challenged me to create a recipe using suggested ingredients. If the recipe tastes good, he says he will give one of my tweeps a customized fitness program. How he’ll choose, I have no idea, but creating a delicious recipe with the ingredients he gave me was easy-peazy. The four required ingredients were: Chicken, spinach, quinoa, and onion chutney. The recipe tastes divine but don’t let me tell you, make it at home and share your comments here!
A taste of what you’ll be making…
chicken breasts are oven poached and served with blackberry infused onion chutney and quinoa with fresh spinach and red onion
Serving size: 1 5-ounce chicken breast with 3/4 cup quinoa and 2 tablespoons blackberry onion chutney
Saturated fat: 3.7g
In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Poached Chicken with Blackberry Onion Chutney and Spinach Quinoa
It’s a little early for next week’s Recipe Wednesday but what the heck, give a girl a challenge and she’ll take you right up on it. One of my England tweeps challenged me to create a recipe using suggested ingredients.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, halved and sliced
- sea salt as needed
- ground black pepper as needed
- 1 cup onion chutney
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 1 cup blackberry jam
- 1 pinch (1/4 teaspoon) ground cinnamon
- fine zest of one orange
- 4 5-ounce boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons lemon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked, pre-washed quinoa
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach leaves
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat olive oil.
- Add white onion and reduce heat to low.
- Season with one pinch of sea salt and one pinch of black pepper.
- Allow to cook until soft, lightly browned – carmelized, about 20 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Add onion chutney, blackberries, blackberry jam, cinnamon, and orange zest.
- Using a wooden spoon, break up the chutney, berries, and jam and stir all together.
- Simmer about 10 minutes or until all is combined and slightly thickened.
- Prepare chicken by placing chicken breasts in a baking dish and add enough water to come up to about half of the chicken.
- Season top of chicken breasts with lemon pepper.
- Cover entire baking dish with aluminum foil and fold edges tightly to seal.
- Place chicken in oven and bake for 35 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, make the quinoa by placing quinoa in a saucepan with the water or chicken broth.
- Heat over medium high heat and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Allow quinoa to cook for 15 minutes or until almost all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove quinoa from heat and let stand, uncovered.
- Season quinoa with a pinch or two of sea salt and black pepper and stir in red onion.
- Let stand until chicken is ready.
- When chicken is done, remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Stir spinach into the cooked quinoa.
- Transfer blackberry onion chutney to a bowl for ease of serving.
- To serve, place 3/4 cup spinach quinoa on a serving plate. Top with 1 chicken breast and 2 tablespoons of blackberry onion chutney.
- Store any remaining chutney in an airtight container in the refrigerator.