When my friend, Peggy Sweeney McDonald, wanted to come on my show, The Bikini Lifestyles Show, to talk about her new web TV show, Savoring the Sweetness, of course, I said “yes” right away. Not only has Peggy become a dear friend who happens to be a fellow Southern Belle, she is always bubbling with positive energy and filled with interesting food stories. Food stories are her life so it only makes sense that Peggy has so many to share. She shares them in her highly acclaimed live food monologue show, Meanwhile, Back at Cafe DuMonde, and also on her new web TV series. I was honored to be Peggy’s first guest on Savoring the Sweetness and even more honored to know that I am in great company with other guests such as Tess Masters, The Blender Girl.
When Peggy came on my show, she was kind enough to present the Recipe of the Week direct from her interview with Tess and The Blender Girl Cookbook. The result was a super creamy no-cream Puree of Cauliflower Soup that is simple to whip up and deliciously good for you. Key ingredients: fresh garlic, leeks, cashews, chives and the star of the soup, cauliflower.
Serving size: 1 cup
Saturated fat: 1.7g
This recipe is filled with healthy fats and good carbs. A good source of vitmains C and A. If possible, cut salt by half.
Recipe shared by permission from Peggy Sweeney McDonald and Tess Masters The Blender Girl.
Savoring the Sweetness is an Actors Entertainment / Pepper Jay Production. In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Pureed Cauliflower Soup
When Peggy came on my show, she was kind enough to present the Recipe of the Week direct from her interview with Tess and The Blender Girl Cookbook. The result was a super creamy no-cream Puree of Cauliflower Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, about 2 cloves
- 2 cups chopped leeks, white parts only
- 1/4 teaspoon plus one pinch sea salt
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped
- 7 cups vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup raw unsalted cashews or almonds, soaked
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives or a small fresh grating of nutmeg, for garnish
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the garlic, leeks, and 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt for about 3 minutes, until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the cauliflower and saute for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, increase the heat to high, and bring just to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the cauliflower is completely tender.
- Stir the mix periodically and mash the cauliflower with a wooden spoon.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the soup to cool slightly; stir in the soaked nuts.
- Pour the soup into your blender in batches and puree on high for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Return the soup to the saucepan and warm it over low heat.
- Stir in a pinch of sea salt.
- To serve, ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with either chopped chives or grated nutmeg.