Healthy food tastes good! This recipe proves it. Green beans are often overlooked but this delicious and simple way to prepare them will have you adding them to your at-home menus often. Green beans are GREEN, and like spinach and kale, they are filled with important carotenoids like lutein (good for the eyes), betacarotene (a known anti-oxidant and immune booster), and neoxanthin (known to combat prostate cancer). And, they are a good source of detoxifying, artery scrubbing fiber. Diced onions add flavor to this easy-to-make side dish as well as help keep blood sugar levels regulated and raw almonds are an excellent source of energy, protein and they are rich in the good fats that help prevent heart disease.
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Saturated fat: 2.8g
In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Sauteed Green Beans with Feta
Green beans are GREEN, and like spinach and kale, they are filled with important carotenoids like lutein (good for the eyes), betacarotene (a known anti-oxidant and immune booster), and neoxanthin (known to combat prostate cancer).
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, washed, ends trimmed
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 tablespoon grass fed butter
- 1/2 large yellow or white onion, diced
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- pinch of ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- Pre-heat oven to 350*F.
- Once oven is ready, spread almonds out onto a baking sheet and place in oven for 10 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Bring a large stockpot filled 3/4 with water and a 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once boiling, add green beans and let them stand for 15 seconds.
- Quickly pour the beans into a strainer or colander to drain.
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté about 1 minute, until onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Add green beans, lemon juice, a small pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
- Toss to coat.
- Add feta cheese and almonds and toss to coat.
- Remove from heat and serve.