A stove top smoker is used to easily smoke salmon any time of year with your preferred smoking chip shavings. Mesquite or applewood shavings are recommended. Salmon filets are drizzled with lemon and then smoked and tossed with antioxidant friendly arugula greens and a simple lemon vinaigrette. Once served, fresh asiago cheese shavings finish this delicious bikini-flattering recipe that is perfect for lunch, brunch, or a healthy, easy mid-week meal.
The Italian seasoning used in the recipe is a wonderful blend of dried basil, crushed red pepper flakes and finely crumbled parmesan cheese. This was a gift to me from Kathleen Young of Kelley and Young Wines in the Alexander Valley. Kathleen was a guest on The Bikini Lifestyles Show on Talk Radio 790 KABC. I’ve posted the recipe for this seasoning blend here: Mixed Garden Herbs (search Recipes) Also hear Kathleen’s interview on TheBikiniChef.com/podcast/
Smoked Salmon with Arugula
Salmon is smoked using a stove top smoker and tossed with arugula greens and asiago cheese shavings
- 3 salmon filets
- 1 lemon, halved
- 3 cups water
- For Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- fine zest of 1 lemon
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- at least 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Italian dry seasoning (see note above), about 1 1/2 teaspoons
- 6 cups arugula
- 18 shavings of fresh asiago cheese
- Using a stove top smoker, place salmon on rack and squeeze lemon over each filet.
- Smoke the salmon using mequite or applewood shavings for 18 minutes or until cooked through.
- Make vinaigrette:
- In large mixing bowl, combine oil, vinegar, lemon zest, sea salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning and whisk well until well combined.
- Add arugula and toss to coat.
- Flake salmon into chunks and toss with arugula.
- Place salad on serving plates and top with 3 shavings of cheese.
- *Note: Stove top smokers available for sale in the Bikini Boutique.