In celebration of the great Chardonnay grape and recent National Chardonnay day, this light yet flavorful salad will delight palates everywhere. The perfect pairing for Handcraft Chardonnay, shrimp are delicately sauteed in citrus of lime, orange, and lemon juice with a hint of white pepper and then chilled. Once chilled, the citrus shrimp are tossed with fresh shaved vegetables of zucchini, parsnips, carrot, and red onion and an herb shallot vinaigrette.
Handcraft Chardonnay is among an artisan collection of wines from California with an Italian heritage and are the labor of love from 3rd generation winery proprietor, Cheryl Indelicato. Cheryl’s vineyard to barrel field selections result in distinctive, fruit forward wines that are a pleasure to enjoy.
Specifically, the Handcraft Chardonnay has lovely floral and honey tones with soft hints of green apple, oak and one of my favorite ingredients, lemon zest. One characteristic I particularly enjoyed beyond the rich and juicy wine finish was the wine label itself. An inviting, colorful, and sophisticatedly playful bottling that shares the aromatics and tasting notes of the wine right on the label.
A little about how Cheryl makes these palate pleasing chardonnay wines, the grapes were harvested at night to promote citrus flavors and retain the fruit’s natural acidity. Then, the grapes are delicately pressed and the juice cold settled before fermentation. With a portion aged in French oak, the remaining juice was fermented in stainless steel tanks to preserve the wine’s bright acidity and aroma. For more about Handcraft Chardonnay and their other varietals, visit Handcraftwines.com
Vegetable Carpaccio with Citrus Shrimp
Serving size: 1 cup vegetables with approximately 6 shrimp
Saturated fat: 1.4g
Special thanks to Rick Mariani Photography for the photo of the Handcraft Chardonnay. In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Vegetable Carpaccio with Citrus Marinated Shrimp
In celebration of the great Chardonnay grape and recent National Chardonnay day, this light yet flavorful salad will delight palates everywhere. The perfect pairing for Handcraft Chardonnay, shrimp are delicately sauteed in citrus of lime, orange, and lemon juice with a hint of white pepper and then chilled.
- For shrimp:
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deviened
- juice of 1/2 large lemon
- juice of 1 large lime
- juice of 1/2 medium orange
- pinch of white pepper
- For herb shallot vinaigrette:
- 1 medium shallot, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped tarragon
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Healthy pinch of white pepper
- For vegetables:
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 medium to large parsnips
- 1 large carrot
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Heat a large saute pan over medium heat and add shrimp, lemon, lime, orange juice and white pepper.
- Saute until shrimp are just cooked through.
- Remove, transfer to a bowl and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Make the herb shallot vinaigrette by whisking together shallot, garlic, tarragon, lemon juice, and white wine vinegar in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the grapeseed oil and white pepper until well combined; set aside until ready to use.
- Shave each of the zucchini, parsnips, and carrot by using a vegetable peeler to peel lengthwise into thin strips; shave about 3 strips, turn the vegetable a 1/4 turn and shave 3 more strips.
- Repeat process until you reach the seeds of the zucchini or near the center of the parsnip and carrot.
- Place shaved vegetables in the mixing bowl with the vinaigrette.
- Add the shrimp and toss well to coat.
- Serve on salad or dinner plates with Handcraft Chardonnay or your favorite wine or beverage.