Zucchini Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce doesn’t have to mean white starchy carb overload. Your tastebuds will be refreshed with this flavor-filled fresh pasta made with thinly shaved zucchini and tomatoes, and your body will feel renewed and energized. Not lethargic and overloaded.
In this recipe inspired by recent guest, Attila Hildmann, on The Bikini Lifestyles Show, fresh zucchini is shaved into strips using a vegetable peeler to create delicious low-carb noodles. With no blanching or cooking needed, the raw noodles are tossed with a fresh tomato sauce made using canned tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, freshly chopped rosemary, oregano and basil leaves, garlic, and a few spices of cumin, turmeric, and a bay leaf.
Kid proofed and family tested, this recipe was loved by everyone who tried it. Originally made as a vegan recipe, I prefer to eat this for its lower-carb, healthy carb quotient. For the non-vegans, toss in some cooked ground turkey or chunks of chopped, cooked chicken breasts.
Serving size: 1 heaping cup or 750 grams
Saturated fat: 0.9g
Dietary fiber: 11.1g
This recipe is also very high in vitamins A, C, calcium and iron.
In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Zucchini Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Originally made as a vegan recipe, I prefer to eat this for its low-carb, healthy carb quotient. For the non-vegans, toss in some cooked ground turkey or chunks of chopped, cooked chicken breasts.
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 1 48-ounce can petite diced tomatoes
- 4 medium roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- Using a vegetable peeler, start on one side of the zucchini and shave 4 strips.
- Turn a quarter turn and shave another 4 strips.
- Continue this process until the zucchini has been shaved down to the seeds.
- Discard the center core or chop and reserve or freeze for a later use in salad or other recipe.
- Make the tomato sauce by heating the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and water and mix well.
- Add bay leaves, canned tomatoes, and roma tomatoes; stir in cumin, turmeric, and pepper and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Stir in rosemary, oregano, and basil and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Toss with zucchini noodles and serve.
- Use sea salt when serving as desired.