This Black & White Angel Food Cake is perfect healthy, light dessert for Easter or anytime and averages 200 calories per serving! A #SOBikini lifestyle is about healthy living.
Serves: 12-14 slices
Total Time: 1.5 hours
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened dark cocoa (such as Hershey’s Special Dark)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons tub light cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon unsweetened dark cocoa (such as Hershey’s Special Dark)
- Sliced strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and 3/4 cup granulated sugar, stirring with a whisk; set aside.
- Place cream of tartar, salt, and egg whites in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at high speed until foamy. Add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Beat in juice and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Sift flour mixture over egg white mixture, 1/4 cup at a time; fold in after each addition.
- Spoon half of batter into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan, spreading evenly. Break air pockets by cutting through batter with a knife. Sift 2 tablespoons cocoa over remaining batter; fold in. Spoon cocoa batter evenly over top of vanilla batter; break air pockets by cutting through cocoa layer with a knife.
- Bake at 32° for 55 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Invert pan; cool completely. Loosen cake from sides of pan using a narrow metal spatula. Invert cake onto a plate.
- To prepare glaze, place powdered sugar, cream cheese, milk, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Drizzle half of glaze over cake.
- Add 3/4 teaspoon cocoa to remaining glaze; stir well to combine. Drizzle cocoa glaze over cake. Refrigerate 5 minutes or until glaze is set.
- Garnish with strawberries, if desired.
Note:Place leftover egg yolks in an airtight container, cover with a thin layer of water, and refrigerate for up to two days.
In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites