Traditional Apple Pie has 750 calories per slice with a whopping 30 grams of fat. This #SOBikini Apple Pie has half the amount of calories per slice and only 10 grams of fat!
- 1 1/4 cups whole-wheat pastry flour, (see Ingredient Note)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled MacIntosh apples, (about 2 pounds)
- 6 cups thinly sliced peeled Granny Smith apples, (about 2 pounds)
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of ground allspice
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten, for brushing
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/2 tsp salt in a large bowl.
- Cut butter & rub the butter into the flour mixture with your fingers.
- Add sour cream and oil. Toss with a fork to combine with the dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle water over the mixture. Toss with a fork until evenly moist.
- Knead the dough with your hands in the bowl a few times then the mixture will still be a little crumbly. Turn out onto a clean surface and knead a few more times, until the dough just holds together. Divide the dough in half and shape into 5-inch-wide disks. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (Can make ahead of time!
- Combine apples, brown sugar, lemon juice, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Reserving 4 cups, transfer the rest of the apple mixture to a Dutch oven. Cook over medium heat, stirring, until the apples are tender and beginning to break down, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the reserved apples and 2 tablespoons flour; let cool for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator; let stand for 5 minutes to warm slightly. Roll one portion between sheets of parchment into a 13-inch circle. Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough into a 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan. Peel off the remaining paper.
- Scrape the filling into the crust.
- Roll the remaining portion of dough between sheets of parchment paper into another 13-inch circle. Peel off the top sheet of paper and invert the dough onto the fruit. Peel off the remaining paper. Trim the crust so it overhangs evenly.
- Tuck the top crust under the bottom crust, sealing the two together and making a plump edge. Flute the edge with your fingers.
- Combine 1 teaspoon granulated sugar and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl. Brush the crust with egg white and sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar. Cut 6 steam vents in the top crust.
- Bake the pie on the bottom rack for 20 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375° and continue baking until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling, 25 to 35 minutes more.
- Let cool on a wire rack for about 1 1/2 hours before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the crust (Step 1), wrap tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months. | Equipment: 9 1/2-inch deep-dish pie pan
- Ingredient Note: Whole-wheat pastry flour, lower in protein than regular whole-wheat flour, has less gluten-forming potential which makes it a “Bikini” favorite! You can find it in the natural-foods section of large super markets and natural-foods stores. Store in the freezer.
- Top with Free Cool Whip and skip the vanilla ice cream for a true #SOBikini classic dessert!
Catch Susan Irby The Bikini Chef on Bikini Lifestyles “Wine Dine and Workout” on AM 790 KABC radio in Los Angeles Saturday nights, 7pm PT or stream LIVE online at http://www.kabc.com Visit: http://www.bikinilifestyles.com Check your local TV listings for Bikini Lifestyles “Wine Dine and Workout” airings in your town!
Purchase books by Susan Irby The Bikini Chef:
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook available for pre-order on Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Idiots-Guide-Quinoa-Cookbook/dp/1615641939/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337916843&sr=8-1
In stores: July 3rd, 2012
Other books by Susan Irby The Bikini Chef:
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Follow The Bikini Chef Susan Irby:
Healthy Apple Pie