Couscous Cabbage Rolls is a low calorie, high fiber vegetarian meal that is a delicious recipe that keeps you feeling fuller, longer and helps avoid snacking. Make ahead and serve later.
Great for vegetarians AND non-vegetarians. Substitute quinoa for couscous for even more protein, flavor, and fiber…plus quinoa provides all the essential amino acids your body needs. In this calorie-slashing collection, The Bikini Chef® Susan Irby offers recipes for switching up ingredients that keep calories to a minimum. Complete with serving-size suggestions and “Skinny Secret” shortcuts to trim calories in little ways, here you’ll get expertly crafted recipes that include offerings for every meal of the day!
Books by The Bikini Chef®:
The Bikini Chef® Diet
Substitute Yourself Skinny
Boost Your Metabolism
The Complete Idiot’s Guide Quinoa Cookbook
The Clean Separation
$7 Healthy Meals
$7 Quick and Easy Meals
$7 Pressure Cooker Meals
Cooking With Susan : Southern Family Favorites
Couscous Cabbage Rolls
Couscous Cabbage Rolls is a low calorie, high fiber vegetarian meal that is a delicious recipe that keeps you feeling fuller, longer and helps avoid snacking.
- 4 1/4 cups water, divided
- 8 large Savoy or green cabbage leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous or quinoa
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chopped plum tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint, plus more for garnish
- Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a large skillet.
- Add cabbage leaves, cover, reduce heat to medium-high and simmer until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Bring 1 1/2 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Stir in couscous, cover and remove from the heat.
- Let stand for at least 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cabbage leaves to a clean work surface to cool.
- Discard the water and dry the pan.
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium heat.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, vinegar, sugar, cinnamon, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are mostly broken down, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile stir feta, olives and 2 tablespoons mint into the couscous.
- Mound about 1/2 cup of the couscous mixture at the stem end of each cabbage leaf.
- Roll into a bundle, tucking in the sides.
- When the tomato sauce is ready, add the cabbage rolls seam-side down.
- Cover and cook until the rolls are hot all the way through and the cabbage is very tender, 5 to 8 minutes.
- Serve the cabbage rolls topped with the sauce.
- Garnish with mint, if desired.